Wednesday, August 17, 2011


I realize this is a bit premature, as August is only halfway over, but I am so excited for Autumn! It is my very favorite time of year. The past few weeks I have been turning my heater on in the car when I am out really late, and the mornings have been just a little colder than they usually are- the first hints that the season is getting ready to change. I can't wait for the perfect weather- still warm enough to be comfortable, but just cool enough to wear a jacket, or cuddle under a blanket, and just overcast enough to be beautiful and not a mess. Autumn sunsets are my favorite kind- as the days grow shorter, and the weather just slightly changes, there is a special kind of twilight, more golden than other sunsets, and, of course, highlighting the leaves as they begin to change color, sometimes almost over night. The whole season has the most cozy, comfortable feeling. As Autumn approaches, I am starting my yearly grand plans of baking peach pie in September, and decorating and preparing for a Halloween with family and friends (witch hat cookies, ghost sugar cookies, caramel corn- lots of kitchen fun to be had!), and beginning to put together a Thanksgiving menu for November- the best three or four days I spend in a kitchen the whole year, making dozens of homemade rolls, pumpkin pies and apple pies from scratch, salads, side dishes, snacks, and apple cider to keep us warm! There is nothing more rewarding than setting all of this out for friends and family, along with a golden turkey that is just crisp enough on the outside, and moist and juicy on the inside. And amongst all of these good times, there are hearty homemade soups and crusty breads to be enjoyed, a hot cup of cocoa or cider with your love, a late evening drive to enjoy the colors, or a talkative night in the kitchen with friends.

And that is why I cannot wait for it to be Autumn!

3 comments:

  1. O.K., I'm officially hungry now! Will you come and make me dinner?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall is MY favorite time too:). We must be soul sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to come make you dinner, Bon!!! I have been dying to make stuff!!!

    Either we are soul sisters, Alicia, or the fact that I IDOLIZED you when I was kid could have something to do with it too! Even though I haven't seen any of your family in years, it feels like it was yesterday. All of you had a huge influence on me growing up, and you almost feel like an extended part of my own family! I think our moms were soul sisters for sure!

    ReplyDelete